We’re excited to partner together with Edison Research and PodcastOne for the second-annual Super Listeners Study.
What is a Super Listener?
Podcast “Super Listeners” are Americans 18+ who listen to five or more hours of podcasts weekly. Podcast Super Listeners are exposed to the most amount of podcast advertising and provide invaluable insight as to how ads are perceived in podcasts.
This year’s study resulted in a variety of insights:
- Almost half, 49 percent, of podcast Super Listeners agree that “Advertising on a podcast is the best way for a brand to reach you.” This finding was up from 37 percent in 2019 - the biggest mover in the survey. Podcast Super Listeners are exposed to the most amount of podcast advertising and provide invaluable insight as to how ads are perceived in podcasts.
- Over half, 54 percent, of Super Listeners, said that hearing an ad on a podcast (compared to other places) makes them more likely to purchase a product, up from 46 percent from last year.
Super Listeners are noticing an increase in the number of commercials and ad breaks.
- Fifty-six percent of podcast Super Listeners believe that the number of ads in podcasts are going up, compared with 49 percent who said the same thing last year.
- The study also found an increase in those who believe there are “too many” ads in podcasts, 38 percent of respondents felt this way, compared with 24 percent last year.
- In addition, 41 percent of podcast Super Listeners believe that ad breaks are getting longer, compared to 35 percent last year. Self-reported ad-skipping behavior, however, did not increase substantially.
While quantity and length of ad breaks increase, the positive impact of podcast advertising continues to rise year-over-year.
Testament to the positive impact of podcast advertising is seen in the percentage increase of Super Listeners that agree with the following statements:
- “Your opinion of a company is more positive when you hear it mentioned on one of the podcasts you regularly listen to” increased from 44 percent in 2019 to 49 percent in 2020.
- “When price and quality are equal, you prefer to buy products from companies that advertise on or sponsor the podcasts you regularly listen to” increased from 43 percent in 2019 to 46 percent in 2020.
- “You pay more attention to advertising on podcasts than on other forms of media” increased from 44 percent in 2019 to 48 percent in 2020.
Host-read ads provide tremendous value.
- Thirty-three percent of Super Listeners say they pay more attention to host-read ads than other types of ads in podcasts.
Super Listeners are consuming more podcast content than ever before.
- In last year’s survey, Super Listeners reported consuming an average of 9.8 hours of podcasts per week, this year the average increased to 10.5 hours per week.
Click here to download full report.
For more background, ARM is a trailblazer in the audio industry, leading in branded spoken-word advertising: the most authentic, memorable and mutually beneficial format for growth. With more than 20 years of experience, ARM effectively connects audiences with brand messages, delivering richer and more meaningful ROI in the form of reach, relevance and resonance. Our company, with offices in Houston, Austin and San Diego, is a leading purchaser of audio influencer ads globally and leverages its strong relationships within the industry to connect brands with the world’s most high-profile news, sports and entertainment creators. Follow our journey on social @adresultsmedia as they amplify the sound of success.